Exterior Front Garden

The Castle was built by the Scots Planter, Sir John Hume of Berwickshire between 1611 and 1613.

The castle here was the scene of great violence in the Rebellion of 1641 when over 800 Irish rebels, led by Rory Maguire, arrived at Tully on Christmas Eve.  The terrified settlers took refuge in the castle but the garrison were away fighting, and Lady Hume was forced to surrender on the promise of a safe conduct for those sheltering inside once the castle and all arms had been given up.  

But despite his pledge, Maguire proved false.  He allowed the Hume family to depart, but the remaining 16 men and about 69 women and children were imprisoned in the ground-floor vaulted cellar.  On Christmas Day, they were massacred and the castle was burnt: it was never occupied again.  

Historically Tully Castle is a “time capsule” as it was lived in for only 30 years.  For over 350 years it lay ruined and desolate until 1974 when a programme of restoration and consolidation was undertaken to the castle, gardens and footpaths.