As patron of Bangor Abbey, Sir James Hamilton brought Reverend John Gibson over from Scotland in 1609 to be the first impropriate curate of Bangor and Dean of Down.  Dean Gibson’s memorial tablet can be seen on the south wall of the nave.

Extensive repairs were carried out on the Abbey church in 1833 at a cost of £950 and these were followed by the most extensive changes since Stennors’ time – the addition of the chancel and transepts, the south one incorporating the old family vault of Sir James Hamilton, 1st Viscount Clandeboye, whose descendants were buried there until 1675.