Entrance Hall

Visitors to Glenarm Castle enter through a porch designed by Dublin-based architect, William Morison, who from 1819 to 1821 worked on the castle, designing a Tudor Gothic scheme similar to one he had devised for Milltown House in Kerry.  He added mullioned windows, finials, stepped gables and the elaborate porch.  

The dramatic two-storey entrance hall formerly contained an arched screen of Corinthian columns at the inner end, supporting a cross-passage – but these were destroyed during the 1929 fire – and afterwards, this space was left very bare.

It was Angela Sykes, later Lady Antrim, wife of the 13th Earl and a professional sculptor – who added some style to this space in the 1930s.  The four corner figures in this magnificent foyer are her work, as is the relief of Mithras riding a bull.