Exterior Outside Bawn

The Castle was built by the Scots Planter, Sir John Hume of Berwickshire between 1611 and 1613.  He was a Planter from the Scottish borders, and was granted land forfeited from the Maguires, chieftains of Fermanagh in 1610.  Soon Sir John owned estates stretching from the outskirts of Enniskillen to Belleek.

Although the design of Tully Castle owes much to Hume’s native Scotland, his use of local labour meant Irish masonry techniques were used.  

A 1622 Crown Survey of Tully reported: “a bawn of stone and lime with four flankers… and a strong castle three storeys high covered with thatch wherein dwelleth Sir John Hume, his agent and his families”.