The graveyard is to the south of the church and is densely packed with stones of all periods from the 17th century, the oldest being dated 1672.

During the era of the Society of United Irishmen, there was strong support for the rebels’ cause in Killinchy and a large contingent joined up.  The Killinchy members used to meet secretly in or behind the windmill in Killinchy, they sharpened their pikes in a little smithy nearby and hid them in the roof the Presbyterian church.

Reportedly, here in the north-east corner of the graveyard lie six unmarked grass-covered graves whose occupants were all hanged in Downpatrick at the time of the 1798 Rebellion.