Much of the current building dates from the 1730’s. By the 1870s, the building had again become shabby and neglected and was described as "the most neglected church in the diocese though situated in the richest part of Donegal."  In 1892, architect, Sir Thomas Drew was commissioned to begin a plan of restoration which uncovered much of the medieval fabric while "medievalizing" the greater part of the rest of the building.

There are a number of 17th century items from the period of the Plantation of Ulster when so many Scottish and English settlers arrived in Donegal.  These include; a white marble pulpit; an impressive wall memorial, inscribed in Latin, to Jeneta Houston, the young wife of Dean Archibald Adair; and a fine Corinthian aedicule in the Chancel, with pediment over, dedicated to Alice Samwells Moore (dated 1681).